Boy Mom

Who would have known that your 3yr old son could be your best friend?! Being a mother truly brings so much joy to my heart. Each and every day, I am reminded of the great reward of being someone's mother. Sure, it causes you to be tired, it brings you stress at times and worry, but I would not trade it for anything else! My son has taught me to be patient, he has challenged me to become a better person and work even harder. I am the first example of a woman he sees and I want him to know that we are strong, caring, nurturing and hard working.

Being a "boy mom" is so much fun! The energy that Mason brings everyday is so amazing. He definitely keeps me on my toes and keeps me moving even when I don't feel like getting out of bed. Especially since he loves to wake up between 6:30-7am on the weekends. lol It is something about that mother/son bond that is so untouchable. You better not cross me because my son will come for you! lol He always knows when I am in need for a hug because he is always right there! His smile, joy, and the love he shows me is validation that I have to keep going and be better for not only myself, but him as well. At this age, he is truly growing into his own little personality. He tells jokes that are actually funny, says new phrases everyday that always surprises me and becoming more and more independent. It makes me happy to know that he is growing and learning so much but also makes me cry! lol Not only tears of sadness that he isn't my little baby boy anymore, but tears of joy! I am so blessed that God chose me to be his mother and so blessed to see his growth and how great he is becoming.

Now for all my mothers raising black sons, we all know that being a black boy's mom is also a thing! Raising a black king and preparing him for his present and future is so critical. It is a shame how we have to teach our sons about so much pain and disappointment that comes with being a black boy in this world. We love to see our children just be children, but we also have to make them aware of what is going on around them. I always pray that my son is not of the world but also not oblivious to what is going on in the world. It is important for him to see and know what is happening around him and even more important to know how to act and react. I thank God for my husband everyday. Without him, this would be even harder. I admit that I spoil my son. I want to hug him all the time, make sure he is having fun being a kid and sometimes I forget the importance of truly disciplining him. My husband is a black man who obviously was a black boy and would understand even more how it is growing up. To see our black boy's joy means to show them love but also discipline them. My prayer is that we as parents, will be able to teach and guide our son in the right direction and that he knows that he can always come to us. Whether it is for advice, to vent, to cry or share his thoughts/feelings...his parents will always be there for him. There are so many odds against our black and brown boys from the very beginning and it is important that they have a safe space. Somewhere they can go to learn the truth but also be free!

Mason has so many interests in things especially revolving around STEM. (Just like his dad lol) I want him to know if he wishes to have a career in science, technology, engineering, mathematics or whatever it may be, that he can do it! He is capable of doing all things through Christ who gives him strength. (Philippians 4:13) No one in this world can tell him he can't. There will be people who will doubt and hate, but my son is and will be somebody!

Comments

  1. This is awesome, Shannon! Mason is a star and lucky to have great parents like you and Kendall. I cant wait to see what the future holds.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Live Your Dream...Do What You Love

Stages Of Life