Living Young, Wild and FEARLESS

Everyone knows that college is where your life begins! lol It's the first time really being away from your parents, joining organizations, meeting so many different people, finding long life friends, learning how to dress, finding yourself and of course furthering your education to set up a bright future for yourself. Attending Morgan State University was not my first choice; however that's where I ended up and I loved it. Being fearless is the ONLY way you will gain your full college experience. Outside of the clubbing, house parties, drinking, and being miss social butterfly, I got involved in a lot of things. For those who know me, track is my passion! I ran since I was 8 years old and I tried out for the track team at Morgan my freshman year and made it. My mother always told me I could do all things through Christ who strengthens me and that's what I live by. BUT no one told me that running track in college was like a job! Lol there were more things I wanted to do so I decided to turn in my track spikes for some heels! Yessss I said heels. I joined Student Government Association which required you to dress up every Monday. Starting out as the event coordinator was a challenge. I never did anything like it before, but not to toot my own horn, I came up with some good events for my class! Lol

Being Fearless really came into play when I decided to run for Miss. Sophomore. This was completely out of my character. Once being a tomboy who never liked wearing anything besides sneakers and braids lol, being the queen, face of my class was more than a challenge! It was overcoming a fear. Fear of losing, fear of being talked about, judged or not liked. I mean running for Miss. Sophomore was a huge thing. There was a campaigning season whiched required me to talk to people, share my vision, and to speak to a big room full of people. THIS WAS NOT ME AT ALL. I remember it like it was yesterday. Me and Dania (bestie/college roommate) was in the library (studying of course lol) and she came up with the crazy idea of me running and we both laughed. But the laughter slowly became serious. Next thing I know, I was in the race. Inspired By One was my platform andddddd I lost. I could have allowed the disappointment/embarrassment get me down, but I didn't. Everything happens for a reason even if it's just a learning experience. So I tried again! Next year I ran for Miss. Junior and BECAME Miss. Junior. Smiling and talking to more and more people everyday. I loved being the queen of my class. It gave me confidence, made me feel good about myself, opened doors and allowed me to meet some great people. I even traveled to Tennessee for a conference and still keep in contact with some of those people to this day.





 Miss. Junior turned into me running for Miss. Morgan. Now let me tell y'all something. When I say I was scared out of my mind, I really mean it! Lol never in my life did I think I would be doing something like that. Can you guess what my platform was this time? Okay, okay, I'll tell ya! FEARLESS! I wanted Morgan State University to know that they can do anything they put their mind to. Nothing stops you from accomplishing anything besides you. Don't be afraid to go after what you really want because you're too scared to see what will happen. If it's for you it will be for you. Unfortunately I didn't win the crown, but I did win the pageant and I can honestly say, for me that was a bigger accomplishment. Once again, I was never the heel wearing, dress wearing, speaking in public type of person but I challenged myself and pushed all my doubts to the side to do what I really wanted to do. It took courage to walk gracefully across the stage, wave/smile nonstop, dance and speak. It took nights and nights of practice and when they said the winner of the Mr. and Miss. Morgan pageant is Shannon Thomas, my heart dropped! No one could tell me I wasn't beautiful, classy, graceful and FEARLESS.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live Your Dream...Do What You Love

Boy Mom

Stages Of Life